Music first and foremost! The Orchestre de la francophonie is pursuing its mission to provide high-level coaching to young classical music professionals by adapting to the reality of COVID 19. The academy is launching a digital transformation initiative to deliver its 2020 season: online face-to-face or group training sessions, recitals for the public, masterclasses and online conferences are all on the program for summer 2020.
OF musician recitals, masterclasses by leading pedagogues, special guest presentations, and much more … Find it all here as Orchestre de la francophonie 2020 unfolds over the month of July and early August.
2020 Events calendar
- Gramophone reviews latest OF recordingThe Orchestre de la Francophonie under Jean-Philippe Tremblay perform it and the overtures more than capably, and with affection. Excellent sound, as usual.
- An overview of orchestral sound in the 20th centuryJean-Jacques Van Vlasselaer has a double career as an academic (Carleton University 1970-2011 and the University of Waterloo since 2011) and as a music critic and writer (Le Matin 1962-1968 ; Le Droit 1972- 2015). He has recorded as yet more than 80 podcasts for the NAC. He has written more than 3500 articles on music at concerts and about 80 academic articles.
- Jeff Nelsen presents “Fearless”Professor, Life coach, Horn player Jeff Nelsen is a Canadian horn player and is Professor of Horn at the Jacobs School of Music at Indiana University in Bloomington, IN. Probably best known for the eight years he spent touring and recording with Canadian Brass, Jeff has also performed concerti and chamber music on six continents, and in the horn sections of dozens of orchestras.
- On technology, distance education and musicIn this first edition of our new 2020 season video series, it’s my pleasure to introduce you to a great friend and contributor to the OF program. He’s one of the foremost music teachers I know, and he has been the director of pedagogy at OF from its inception: Douglas “Pace” Sturdevant.
- OF recording now available to stream onlineIn early June 2020, the Orchestre de la Francophonie will present its most recent recording, completed at the end of the 2019 Academy. Recorded in Oscar Peterson Concert Hall in Montreal, between August 5 and 8, 2019, the album of orchestral pieces by Airat Ichmouratov has made Jean-Philippe Tremblay brim with pride.